Beautiful People: Villain Edition
Maude/ Gizzen – For the purposes of this post it will be referred to as Maude. Maude is one of the main antagonists in a book I’m attempting next month that, as of yet, has no title. It is a creature that lives in the lower spiritual dimension and serves the real main antagonist of the story. Notice I said ‘it’. That is because, strictly speaking, Maude has no gender, but has chosen to give itself the appearance of a little girl, because it can shape shift. Also because who would suspect a cute little girl of anything nefarious?
It works to create nightmares for humans on earth and, when it wants to be frightening, looks like this:
although it has no real permanent shape. It’s not a very nice creature at all and serves no real purpose but to make life more terrible for human beings
1. What is their motive?
If it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do there will be pain involved. The people it works for aren’t very nice.
2. What are they prepared to do to get what they want?
Anything you can think of. Whatever mean suit its ends are acceptable.
3. Are they evil to the core, or simply misunderstood?
It’s pretty evil to the core. It does, however, like to believe that it’s misunderstood, but that’s just self pity.
4. What was their past like? What about their childhood? Was there one defining moment that made them embrace their evil ways?
Well, Maude is supposed to be a sort of demonic creature, so its far away past was pretty wonderful. The defining moment for evil was when it picked the wrong side of a cosmic war… oops.
5. Now that they're evil, have they turned their back on everyone, or is there still someone in their life that they care for? (Brother? Daughter? Love interest? Mother? Someone who is just as evil as they are?)
Maude cares for itself, almost. Since it’s a completely fallen creature it’s not really capable of even self love, so no. It just exists in a sad, pathetic, demented state. It will do whatever it can to promote its own self interest (which is, of course a losing battle since it’s destined for eternal damnation) and betray and backstab any and everyone it thinks it can (think the Screwtape letters)
6. Do they like hugs?
Sure! Hugs are fun! Especially if you can take someone by surprise and stab them in the back (literally) when they’re most vulnerable!
7. Are they plagued by something? (Nightmares? Terrible thoughts?)
Guilt, self-pity, self-loathing, all of which are turned in a demented rage against humanity.
8. Who are they more similar to: Gollum or Maleficent?
Probably somewhere in the middle. Maude is Gollum like to those who are stronger than it, but is also cool and calculating. It’s not a sniveling incapable servant. It can sense weakness a mile away and has many clever and crafty methods for exploiting those.
9. If your villain could have their choice of transportation what would it be?
Please, Maude can travel through time and space with a thought. These primitive and animal human monstrosities hold no value for a capable and powerful creature such as it.
10. If you met your villain in the street, how afraid would you be? Are they evil enough to kill their creator?
I’d be pretty freaked out. Maude probably couldn’t physically harm me, but I’m sure it would love the opportunity to deal out some serious psychological harm. It deals in nightmares so I’m sure it would have no scruples with acting out in the open, even in a materialistic society.
And now, for the most important question: Does the dark side really have cookies?
Of course we do! They're fresh out of the oven and your favorite kind! All we ask in return is your soul... Seems legit.